Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Ooops! Late for my day job!

I was up early, about 4:45.  I get ready for work and decide to drive since I haven't in a few days.  I get the cold waters out of the fridge and restock the doors with room-temp waters in the doors.

I remote start my car and let the windows defrost and the temp warm up.  Even though it's June in So. Cal., we still have what we like to call "June Gloom".  It's cold and cloudy in the morning and beautiful in afternoon.  We think of it as natural air conditioning.

It's around 6:00 AM.  I have two hours before I have to get to work at my "real job" as a medical secretary in a physical therapy clinic.  No problem!  I get the ping from Uber and see that it's close, about 12 minutes away in Carson.

I've actually dropped off another Uber driver in this neighborhood a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder it that's my fare again.  It's not.  A young man comes out of his house and gets in.  I have to look twice to make sure he's old enough to ride.  I saw on another blog that some parents are using Uber and Lyft to transport their kids around town.  It's against policy to take an unaccompanied minor anywhere.  He is definitely old enough on second look.  Just a slim youthful appearance.  I must be getting really old myself as I found out later he is actually a Physician's Assistant.

The man has had an interesting life and has just moved back from NYC where he was in school.  Along the ride, I find out he is truly homesick for his friends and neighborhood in New York.  He works in Santa Monica and got the job just 2 days after moving back, but hasn't found an apartment close to work so is staying with family.  He is a Buddhist, a vegan and has decided to go back to school after working for a few years to pursue his love of philosophy.  We talked pretty much the whole time he was in the car.

He complimented my driving and said he had a driver the week before that refused to get on the freeway and it had taken over 2 hours to get him to work.  YIKES!!! Not everyone is cut out to be a driver!  You really have to love both driving and people, in my opinion, to make it a success.

My Waze App routed me around traffic twice. On my way back, I saw 2 different major accidents on the 405.  But even with that, I saw the arrival time go from 7:30 (get myself to work on time or 5 minutes late) to 7:59 (a minute until I am due in).  I dropped the gentleman off at his job right at 7:58!

I pulled over real fast to check my phone.  A text from a co-worker asking me to call her into security as she didn't have the pass with her and 2 calls from the hubby.  I call work first, arrange for the pass and let my boss know where I am and how late I'm going to be.  Not happy, but not too terrible!

I call my hubby and let him know what's going on and he keeps me company all the way back to Seal Beach!  He's so sweet!  

I arrive at work at 8:40!!!!  I've got a lot of butt-kissing to do and 40 minutes to make up another day. LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment